Where Do Bed Bugs Come From?
What Are Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are small parasitic insects that feed on human blood. After spending the day in hiding, bed bugs come from their hiding places at night to feed.
Where Do Bed Bugs Come From in Canada?
No one knows exactly where bed bugs come from originally, but today they are found all over the world. The origin of modern bed bugs in Canada can be traced back to other parts of the world where they were never eradicated by the pesticide DDT, as they almost were in North America.
Bed bugs were then brought to Canada from these other places as a result of globalization and increased levels of international travel.
Often, bed bug problems start when people bring home already-infested items, such as:
- Used or discarded furniture
- Luggage and personal effects that have been in an infested hotel or a similar environment
- Second-hand clothing
In multi-unit buildings, bed bugs can travel between walls from infested units to adjacent units through voids, outlets, and cracks.
Preventing Bed Bug Infestations
It is impossible to completely prevent introducing bed bugs into a home; however, there are a few things that homeowners can do to reduce the chances of introduction and an infestation:
- When traveling, inspect the hotel room you are staying in for signs of bed beg infestation prior to settling in.
- Use hard-case travelling suitcases rather than fabric ones.
- Inspect any fabric items brought into the home, especially the seams of used furniture or clothes.
- Avoid obtaining cast-off mattresses and sofas from unknown sources.
Washing bedding or clothing in hot water and drying on high heat kills all stages of bed bugs. Protective bed bug resistant mattress and box spring covers make it easy to spot and contain infestations and help prevent future ones.
The most effective way to control bed bugs is to let the specialists at Orkin Canada deal with any infestations.